"Introducing an emerging designer creating captivating leather fashions."
IKEMEN #33: DANIEL VIEDMA
IKEMEN (ē´k´mɛn): Japanese Slang
"REALLY, REALLY, RIDICULOUSLY GOOD LOOKING PEOPLE"
Name: Daniel Viedma
Occupation: Associate Technical Director at Firstborn
1. Where are you from?
I am from Badalona. A beautiful beach city right next to Barcelona.
2. How long have you been in NYC?
Almost 5 years already (time flies).
3. What brings you to NY?
Friends in the beginning, then work
4. Since moving to NY, do you feel your life is changed?
It did. But you know, sometime I feel like it's hard to tell if city changed me or I'm just getting older. I've became way more impatient since I've been living in NYC , that's for sure.
5. When did you start working at Firstborn?
9 months ago.
6. Could you describe your typical day of your life?
I usually start the day with a workout. Whether that's hitting the pool for a few laps or going for a run.
Morning at the office is usually more meeting heavy with different project status and check-ins. Afternoon I like it to reserve it (schedule permitting) to hands on work: usually coding or writing technical documentation.
Night time is chill dinner out or cooking at home. And Netflix!
7. What get you most excited about your job?
Solving problems. That, and doughnut Friday.
8. What or who has been your greatest inspiration?
Tricky one. On a personal level I'd say my grandpa, for his strong will. Professionally... probably Randy Pausch, computer science professor at Carnegie Mellon. He died from cancer but before that he gave a lecture that became viral with many valuable life teachings.
9. What are some of your interests out of your work?
In no particular order...gardening, doing triathlons, taking siestas, listen to music, having friends over and grilling, traveling, surfing.
10. Where is your favorite place in NY?
I usually hang out in Brooklyn, where I live. I love biking or skating around. Transmitter Park in Greenpoint probably has one of the best views to Manhattan. I love the 5leaves terrace with a cheeseburger. East Village is kinda douchy but I still like walking around there, even if it's to bring back the moments of the first time i visited the city like 8 years ago.
11. What are your strength and weakness?
Strength: I like to think I have some sort of common sense that allows me to see through bullshit.
Weakness: Strawberry Cheescake Ben&Jerry ice cream
12. What are your lifelong dreams?
Live well, have a family and a nice house. Have a rock and roll band and tour around the world.
13. What five words would describe you?
Driven, silly, curious, adventurous and just chill all around.
14. What is one thing that would surprise our readers?
I can actually bend my thumb in the opposite direction.
15. Do you have any life-essential tips for our readers?
Don't complain, just work harder.
INTERVIEWED BY YU WATANABE