NEW TYPE #8: MORGANE LE FAY - Liliana Casabal Interview

January 23, 2016 3:00 PM

"Introducing an extremely talented designer"

Argentinian designer Liliana Casabal is the founder of women's clothing line, Morgane Le Fay, which she began in 1982. It has been eight years since Casabal last showed her line on the runway, and has decided to present her SS16 collection this past New York Fashion Week. Her bridal line and clothing line both exhibit an etherial beauty that is mystical and strong. Many of her pieces have layers of opaque materials that play with the female body line, resulting in a beautiful yet bold look. TWELV gets the opportunity to delve deeper in to the mind of this creative designer.

------------- Liliana Casabal's INTERVIEW -------------

1. After nearly a decade of not showing at fashion week, what inspired you to return?

Liliana Casabal: There was no reason in particular why we decided to show again, it just felt like the right time.

2. Your newest collection named "In Big Sur with Rilke” plays with a color palette that echoes the landscape of California’s Big Sur. Have you always been strongly influenced by nature or was landscape calling to you?

LC: The collection's name, "Everything Blooming" was inspired by a passage from Rilke, I felt it resonated with what the collection was doing.

3. Has any specific poem or stanza of Rilke’s directly influenced your designs?

LC: I was reading Rilke's Love and Other Difficulties: Translations and Considerations and enjoying it a lot. I find his work wise and hauntingly beautiful.

4. Being raised in Argentina and then moving to New York, do you feel that your work was influenced by living in these two different places?

LC: My work has been and still is influenced by my upbringing in Argentina - there seems to be a sense of wilderness and connectedness to all that is natural there - a certain purity in the way people connect with the land and animals that I admire. It was present throughout my upbringing and is still present in my work today. Though New York has been my biggest influence, with its dynamic ways.

5. Your design philosophy is that fashion can be a healing force that allows the wearer to feel limitless. What type of healing are you focused on bringing to the wearer? How do you work to imbue this feeling into the clothing?

LC: I aim to heal through the joy and confidence that wearing a beautiful design can bring. I believe how someone feels about themselves has a big effect on their overall well-being. I always design directly on my body, and I know a design is done when I accomplish that certain feeling.

6. Your most recent collection was accompanied by an arm tattoo on each of the models. What did the tattoo say and what was its meaning?

LC: The tattoo read "everything blooming." To me "everything blooming" represents a kind of natural, pure state of beauty coming into its truest form. Something unstoppable, because it is so deeply ingrained in the natural order of things. It resonates with a sentiment beyond what is tangible.

7. Do you have any vision for where you would like Morgane Le Fay to go in the future?

LC: Yes, I would love for Morgane Le Fay to expand in many directions. With new product lines, and/or into the Japanese market too, I admire Japanese culture and feel connected to its aesthetics. It is also important to me that the company continues to grow while maintaining a social conscious mission as well.

8. Do you have plans to continue showing Morgane Le Fay at Fashion Week?

LC: Yes! We enjoyed last season and are looking forward to showing again in February.

9. Do you have any plans to collaborate or to expand your line?

LC: Presently, we are working on two very exciting collaborations! One is a vinyl record store opening soon next to our store in Malibu. The other project is still in development but it will be an online venture.

10. How do you feel the response was for this past collection and do these opinions affect your design?

LC: The reactions to our previeus show have influenced me and the company in a positive way-in general we're very happy with how warmly welcomed our show was.

WRITTEN & INTERVIEWED BY CAITLIN KING

PHOTOGRAPHY: HAYATO

DIRECTION: OMEN PR

LOCATION: MORGANE LE FAY

related posts

NEW TYPE #20: Shahista Lalani INTERVIEW

"Introducing an emerging designer creating captivating leather fashions."

February 03, 2017 3:00 PM  |  People

NEW TYPE #19: PAMPLEMOUSSE - Danica Zheng Interview

“Introducing a dedicated, innovative designer to awaken every woman’s inner voice.”

January 10, 2017 10:00 AM  |  People
Shot by Bernadette Baksa

NEW TYPE #18: BOOM DONE SHOP - LIAM BERGIN INTERVIEW

“Introducing the new hot British ethical apparel brand BOOM DONE SHOP”

December 02, 2016 10:00 AM  |  People

NEW TYPE #17: NAMILA - NAN LI AND EMILIA PFOHL INTERVIEW

NAMILIA was founded in 2015 by Berlin based designers Nan Li and Emilia Pfohl. The duo met while attending University of the Arts Berlin.

November 29, 2016 2:00 PM  |  People

Isabel Dupre Interview

Isabel Dupre Interview is now available!

Check inside for the Full Page Interview.

October 13, 2016 3:00 PM  |  People

MARC ENGLANDER INTERVIEW

Equally as functional as beautiful, the works of Marc Englander, a furniture designer and conceptual artist based in New York City, are simple, innovative, elegant, and distinct.

October 01, 2016 11:00 AM  |  People

IKEMEN #33: DANIEL VIEDMA

IKEMEN (ē´k´mɛn): Japanese Slang

"REALLY, REALLY, RIDICULOUSLY GOOD LOOKING PEOPLE"

September 14, 2016 4:00 PM  |  People

Judi Harvest INTERVIEW

“We’re all bees, we need to dance more and always search for beauty,” Judi Harvest proclaims.

September 10, 2016 3:00 PM  |  People

BEHIND THE SCENES #4: Nicola Formichetti

TWELV's Behind the Scenes takes a step back and visits the masterminds behind the camera.

September 06, 2016 2:00 PM  |  People

IKEMEN #32: TERRY DOE

IKEMEN (ē´k´mɛn): Japanese Slang

"REALLY, REALLY, RIDICULOUSLY GOOD LOOKING PEOPLE"

Name: TERRY DOE

August 25, 2016 1:00 PM  |  People

NEW TYPE #16: LINDER - SAM LINDER AND KIRK MILLAR INTERVIEW

“Introducing a new generation of quick and fresh minded designers”

August 05, 2016 12:00 PM  |  People

IKEMEN #31: CORNELIUS LOY

IKEMEN (ē´k´mɛn): Japanese Slang

"REALLY, REALLY, RIDICULOUSLY GOOD LOOKING PEOPLE"

August 01, 2016 3:00 PM  |  People

NEW TYPE #15: JULIANNA BASS - JULIANNA BASS INTERVIEW

While on assignment in Berlin, Bass was so taken with the culture, art and fashion of the city that following year she made the move from Brooklyn to Berlin, to further develop her...

July 26, 2016 3:00 PM  |  People

Takarazuka CHICAGO Cast Members Interview

“All Japanese, All Women, All that Jazz! We interviewed three cast members of Takarazuka CHICAGO who preformed in the Lincoln Center Festival in 2016.

July 22, 2016 3:00 PM  |  People

Sean O’Pry EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW "Good Ol’ Georgia Boy”

SEAN O’PRY EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

"GOOD OL’ GEORGIA BOY”

July 15, 2016 2:00 PM  |  People

R.I.P. Bill Cunningham

Bill Cunningham, Iconic Street Style Photographer, Passes away at 87

June 29, 2016 4:00 PM  |  People

NEW TYPE #14: Alida Boer - Alida Boer Interview

TWELV Magazine sat down with Alida Boer in NYC to get to know the designer and better understand the intricacies of her designs and company’s mission.

June 13, 2016 11:00 AM  |  People

NEW TYPE #13: CHENG - CHENG HUAI CHUANG INTERVIEW

"Cheng-Huai Chuang was introduced to fashion at a young age"

June 08, 2016 4:00 PM  |  People

NEW TYPE #12: DROMe - MARIANNA ROSATI INTERVIEW

" I carry in my heart the values I've learned from my hometown - such as being true to myself and to my style"

May 24, 2016 4:00 PM  |  People

IKEMEN #30: JORGE URENA

IKEMEN (ē´k´mɛn): Japanese Slang

"REALLY, REALLY, RIDICULOUSLY GOOD LOOKING PEOPLE"

May 20, 2016 10:00 AM  |  People

NEW TYPE #11: LODOVICO ZORDANAZZO INTERVIEW

TWELV Magazine sat down with Lodovico Zordanazzo during his NYC visit to discuss his new collection and unique perspective on shoe design.

May 10, 2016 12:00 PM  |  People
BreeLayne / Designer and Actress

NEW TYPE #10: BREELAYNE - BREELAYNE INTERVIEW

"Introducing a spirituality and integration of sustainable luxury designer"

April 27, 2016 11:00 AM  |  People

NEW TYPE #9: J.ELSTER - JENNIFER ELSTER Interview

TWELV Magazine recently visited filmmaker and designer, Jennifer Elster, at her studio, The Development.

March 06, 2016 8:00 PM  |  People

NEW TYPE #8: MORGANE LE FAY - Liliana Casabal Interview

"Introducing an extremely talented designer"

January 23, 2016 3:00 PM  |  People
SITE BY: monocomplex©Marbles & Marbles International Inc.
▲ back to top ▲