DANIEL OGLANDER'S STORY BY LAURA KAMPMAN

June 09, 2014 4:49 PM

He kept on apologizing when I was on my way to come see his apartment for the first time. 'I'm sorry. My room is such a mess don't look at it, okay?'. I stepped into his room and immediately fell in love with the space. Paintings leaning up against the wall, brushes on the floor surrounded with different colors of paint tubes strewn about. Two big windows with amazing light coming through, and his mattress, with messy sheets hidden somewhere in the corner. It was like I stepped into his mind. Such a interesting mind. And that's why Dan immediately popped up in my mind when Hissa asked me to shoot a art story for Twelvmag.

Check inside for the full page Art Story!

↓CLICK BELOW FOR FULL PAGES ART STORY↓

Laura: So Dan, let's start at the beginning…

Daniel: Waking up. Seeing my dad with his shirt off, painting on the ground. Every part of the house I grew up in was used as studio space. Someone was always cooking, making a piece of pottery, carving a piece of wood or painting a painting…. My mom just gave me some paint and said: 'Here, use it.' I had no idea how to proceed. So I used my fingers instead of brushes for a long time. All the floors were covered with paint, all my clothes had at least one piece of paint on it.

Laura:From finger painting to your first solo show, how do you feel about that?

Daniel: Terrified. I'm gonna expose myself. My mind will be on display to the people I love. A lot of my subjects are about specific friends, and they will be at the show and see it.

Laura: But they won't recognize it, the words are hidden. Why did you choose for words in your paintings?

Daniel: It's my inner monologue. Things that I have inside my mind but I will never say out loud. Because it would either hurt someone or scare them. They are judgmental. Sometimes mildly racist or sexist. Fearful. But they are all hidden in the painting. It's revealing myself without outing myself. I am being honest but keeping it a secret. As you should.

Laura: Everyone needs secrets. Which painting is your favorite piece?

Daniel: That one. The cool fedora dumbass one. Because it has the most me in it.

Laura:The most me, what are you?

Daniel: What am I…. Umm....No comment.

Laura:Is that at question mark to yourself?

Daniel: -Laughing- Yes that's a question mark to myself, I'm still figuring that out.

Laura:You're gonna be alright Oglander, I'll help you figure it out... You saw all your paintings together for the first time today right?

Daniel: True, and it felt weird. I never saw them in the same room before. All displayed next to each other. I kind of hide from them myself normally. It's nice to live with them in my room, but if I look at them and analyze too much I feel like I'm never going to finish them. They will always just be in a state of Purgatory.

Laura: What's that word?!

Daniel: Purgatory? It's like where ghosts live. The place where you exist before you go to heaven… or hell.

Laura:Ah okay. And how did you like seeing a naked girl crawling next to your paintings today?

Daniel: It looked amazing. I should paint her and have her walk around the show.

Laura: We have to do that! I will do that!

Daniel: You will do it?! Ok, I will just paint the leaves on you and you have to stand there naked the whole time.

Laura: Sure... By the way, why did you choose leaves?

Daniel: It's inspired by a show that was at the Pompidou in Paris. A Hungarian artist most Americans are unfamiliar with... Hantaï*, you have to look up how to spell his name because I have no idea, but he did this leafy cam pattern that struck me as such a beautiful back drop. I looked at it and I thought I could take it further. I wanted to take that history and hopefully expound on it. That's a buzzword for ya. Expound.

Laura: I know. I'm gonna use Google translate a lot for this interview. What is the first thing you think about when you wake up in the morning?

Daniel: Paintings. Compositions. I live with my work so the first thing I see when I open my eyes is them. Every day they are different. It's like having a kid. Every day it grows, changes for the better or annoys the shit out of you. You have to nurture the work and make them into something that you are proud of.

Laura:That's a good one. Is there anything else you want the world to know about you or your mind?

Daniel: I rather keep most of that a secret. I wanna "deepen the mystery." Francis Bacon said that… I don't wanna reveal too much. Artists are all about deepening  the mystery. (He said moving his hands, with a sarcastic grin on his face.)

Laura: Indeed. Well, thank you Oglander for the interview. I'm looking forward to seeing your kids hanging on the wall during your opening. I'll be naked, covered in leaves.

The opening night of Daniel's show 'Admission' will be at Wednesday June 11, 6-9pm. You're more than welcome to join. The show will be up for a month. Come see his kids!

Lilac Gallery

144 5th Avenue

New York, NY 10011

WRITTEN BY: LAURA KAMPMAN

MODEL: ANASTASIA CHORNA

PHOTOGRAPHY BY: LAURA KAMPMAN

website: www.laurakampman.com

instagram: @laurakampman

Facebook: laurakampmanphotography

related posts

INTERVIEW: Adriana Wynne French-American multidisciplinary artist

French-American multi-disciplinary artist studying a BFA degree at Parsons school of Design in Fine Arts and acquiring a minor in Museum and Curatorial Studies.

June 04, 2019 12:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

ZIP III Opening March 9th

Like it or hate it, we live in a fully connected digital world these days.

March 07, 2019 10:00 AM  |  Art / Culture

INTERVIEW: FAHREN FEINGOLD CONTEMPORARY AMERICAN ART

The name of contemporary American artist Fahren Feingold has become synonymous with fluid, feminine watercolours in her...

June 25, 2018 6:00 PM  |  Art / Culture
Lisa Ann Markuson. Photo: Karen Obrist.

Interview: Lisa Ann Markuson on Modernizing Haiku

The minimalism of Haiku poetry– it’s English form dictated simply by the syllabic pattern 5-7-5– allows this traditional Japanese verse to span languages, cultures and ages.

May 17, 2018 4:00 PM  |  Art / Culture
"Peacocks" by Rebecca Leveille, in "The End of Love"

Interview: Rebecca Leveille's Solo Exhibit "The End of Love"

Certain artists have captured the zeitgeist of a particular time and place in such a powerful way that history will forever be represented through their images.

May 04, 2018 12:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

Oussamah Ghandour’s Journey from Ad-Man to Painter

Do you remember that episode of Mad Men when Don Draper decides to quit the ad business and follow his true calling as a painter?

May 03, 2018 10:00 AM  |  Art / Culture
untitled / Polaroid #051

Jörgen Axelvall's "KÄR / LEK" Photo Exhibit in Tokyo

For Jörgen Axelvall, photography is a language.

April 10, 2018 3:00 PM  |  Art / Culture
The Inception of Life. Roby Dwi Antono, 2018.

Interview: Illustrator Roby Dwi Antono on his Startling Surrealist Imagery

In a single painting, Indonesian artist Roby Dwi Antono combines a breastfeeding lamb, a kiwi bird, power ranger, crocodile, and a child.

March 05, 2018 9:00 AM  |  Art / Culture
Bettina Werner's hand creating on a texturized salt crystal surface.

Interview: Bettina Werner's Pioneering Use of Salt in Art

Being an artist isn’t just a matter of creating paintings or sculptures in a particular medium, it’s about making your mark on history.

February 13, 2018 5:00 PM  |  Art / Culture
Donald Trump with Miss Mexico, Alison Jackson. The Untitled Space.

"One Year of Resistance" Recalls an Unsettling Year Under President Trump

During President Trump’s inauguration week, curator Indira Cesarine hosted a group art exhibition entitled Uprise / Angry Women in response to the election.

January 17, 2018 5:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

Artist-Activist Francesca Galliani Brings Her Messages of Empowerment to Fashion

Modern day social activism can be found and utilized everywhere from social media to organized protests.

December 08, 2017 5:00 PM  |  Art / Culture
Misha Kahn with "Scrappy Grand." Photo: Dan Kukla.

ARTIST MISHA KAHN'S ANTI-RIGHT-ANGLE EXHIBITION "MIDDEN HEAP" ON DISPLAY AT FRIEDMAN BENDA

Artist Misha Kahn lives in a world free of right angles.

December 08, 2017 4:00 PM  |  Art / Culture
Lin Dai, HOOCH CEO

Interview: Lin Dai, CEO of Hooch, the Game-changer Drinking App

Hooch is here just in time for the holidays! The Hooch app is the first-of-its-kind, subscription-based drinking app, offering customers 30 free drinks a month for just 10 dollars.

December 06, 2017 3:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

Chrome Hearts Miami Transformed into Candy Shop and Gallery for Art Basel

Chrome Hearts is celebrating Art Basel at their Miami retail space with a pop-up confectionary and café, alongside the launch of group exhibition in their second floor gallery. The...

December 06, 2017 1:00 PM  |  Art / Culture
no. 2 from "Only You" by Indira Cesarine

Indira Cesarine's "Only You" Art Series Visualizes Emotions after Betrayal

New-York based artist Indira Cesarine premiered the video format of her art series “Only You” at Art Basel Miami in 2010...

November 17, 2017 4:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

Chappy's "Dress the D" Halloween Campaign Promoting Safe Sex

The new-on-the-scene dating app Chappy has gained recognition for its mission and success in producing more meaningful...

October 31, 2017 4:00 PM  |  Art / Culture
Ashley Judd. Photo: Chiaki Kato

Ashley Judd & Gloria Steinem Address Human Trafficking at Apne Aap Benefit

The award-winning actress Ashley Judd, luminous in a bisque maxi-dress, was feted at a Manhattan soiree on Thursday night.

October 02, 2017 2:00 PM  |  Art / Culture
Yayoi Kusama. ©YAYOI KUSAMA

Yayoi Kusama to Open Namesake Museum in Tokyo

On your mark, get set, go! Yayoi Kusama enthusiasts will be delighted to know that tickets to the venerated Japanese artist’s namesake museum go on sale August 28.

August 24, 2017 5:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

Just Cavalli Restaurant & Club Opening in Porto Cervo

From the brand that fully embraces the bold and vibrant Dolce Vita lifestyle, now comes the ultimate nightlife experience. On July 14th, the...

July 17, 2017 10:00 AM  |  Art / Culture

The witty pop art of Alessio Franceschetto

Minimal, quirky and straight to the point, all uniquely describe the work of artist Alessio Franceschetto, a superhero of graphic art.

June 01, 2017 3:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

Go To Become, the poetic new art book of Jörgen Axelvall

TWELV is excited to announce Tokyo-based, photographer Jörgen Axelvall’s new exhibition and book release, Go To Become.

March 27, 2017 5:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

"Memory over reality" Crys Yin's reinvented childhood

Brushing eyes, combing toenails, flossing knees, and buying butts at the supermarket.

March 24, 2017 12:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

MOHRI SUZUKI IN NEW YORK CITY

Mohri Suzuki is acknowledged as one of the most promising calligraphy artists in Japan.

March 13, 2017 10:00 AM  |  Art / Culture
DONNA TRUMPETTE

Saint Hoax: The PoPlitically Incorrect Artist

Saint Hoax is an artist who comes out of Syria and has a limitless mind of his own.

January 05, 2017 3:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

DISNEY PRINCESS HIGH FASHION TRANSFORMATION

December 07, 2016 4:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

Frédéric Forest interview

November 28, 2016 11:00 AM  |  Art / Culture

Culture Chanel Exhibition Opened in Venice

A new exhibition at the Ca’ Pesaro International Gallery of Modern Art in Venice explores Coco Chanel’s life through her love for literature, her life living amongst...

November 23, 2016 2:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

Marilyn Minter: Pretty/Dirty exhibition

Starting November 4, 2016, the public will have the chance to admire the retrospective of Marilyn Minter's work at the Brooklyn Museum.

October 27, 2016 3:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

MARC JACOBS FALL2016 CAMPAIGN

Marc Jacobs, the man who keeps the fashion industry oohing and ahhing has shocked us once more.

October 12, 2016 3:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

The Fashion World with The Coveteur Book

The widely popular fashion website, The Coveteur, is coming out with a beautiful coffee table book on October 18, 2016.

October 12, 2016 11:00 AM  |  Art / Culture

CARVED CRAYONS. COOL.

Have you heard of "Wax Nostalgic?" How about the guy who can make almost anything out of crayons? Well Hoang Tran is the man behind it all!

September 12, 2016 5:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

COLORING BOOK "MAGICAL JUNGLE" BY Johanna Basford

“I create books so they can make masterpieces,” says Johanna Basford, about her new coloring book, Magical Jungle, which was recently published.

August 09, 2016 3:00 PM  |  Art / Culture
HK_72, Hong Kong, 2014

Invader Invades the Earth with Street Art

Invader is a mystery. People don’t know his real name. They also don't know what he looks like.

July 01, 2016 3:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

MINI BAGS BY Phillip Nuveen

Phillip Nuveen in Wonderland: a mini fashion world

June 20, 2016 4:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

The Floppy Disk Portrait Artworks by Nick Gentry

Nick Gentry is an exceptional contemporary artist who compose oil painting portraits with obsolescent media like Floppy disks, vintage...

March 15, 2016 5:37 PM  |  Art / Culture