Interview: Illustrator Roby Dwi Antono on his Startling Surrealist Imagery

March 05, 2018 9:00 AM

In a single painting, Indonesian artist Roby Dwi Antono combines a breastfeeding lamb, a kiwi bird, power ranger, crocodile, and a child. Though seemingly random, each strikingly-detailed character surrounding the dining room table is coded with meaning. The lamb represents renewal. The girl symbolizes an empty life. The power ranger means memory. The kiwi bird, vulnerability. The crocodile and girl straddling a fine balance. As they say, there is a method to the madness.

Antono combines jarring opposites simply for that; they are jarring. Humans and animals. Life and death. Ying and yang. The 27-year-old illustrator and painter works in extremes as well. Sometimes he meticulously plans his paintings on the computer; other times he spontaneously takes his brush to canvas or wood. Yet what isn’t surprising is that the talent of this self-taught artist is earning him acclaim among the Yogyakarta art community and abroad. His doe-eyed children and creatures are conversation starters, understandably carving out a presence on Instagram for the young illustrator. The pop surrealist images are personal to his childhood and his penchant for rabbits yet resonate with anyone who has lived through innocence and life’s brutality. Meditating on karma, life and death, Antono hopes to inspire goodness rather than fear.

And we have no doubt he will. Speaking to the artist about his background, inspiration, and future aspirations, TWELV dives deeper into the work and life of Roby Dwi Antono:

What was it like growing up in Indonesia?

I was born and raised in Ambarawa, a little town in the suburbs of Central Java. Geographically, it’s a valley– a beautiful one– where you can find a lake (Rawa Pening) surrounded by mountains.

During my childhood, I preferred to spend my time outdoors. Most of the time, I went to play in the garden, rice field and river with all of my friends. The mountain and lake view is a treat that I enjoy on a daily basis. I have only fond memories of Ambarawa, and the sentimental feeling that I have towards my hometown still affects my work today.

After finishing school, I frequently moved from one city to another because of my job. None of those places can barely resemble Ambarawa. That was until I move to Yogyakarta, which I believe was luckily the same time when I was really growing up as a man. Yogyakarta, the city where I live and work at the moment, is a well-known city with strong cultural roots. Many say that it is the art and creative hub of Indonesia. Here, I found just the right atmosphere to work as I can learn a lot from the local creative community. I feel really lucky and grateful to be the part of Yogyakarta’s art scene and creative community.

When and how did you enter the art world? Did you receive any formal training?

I was introduced to and learned art informally. I am a self-taught artist, and I learned a lot from my previous jobs.

After I graduated from senior high, I decided to become a print technician in an advertising company. My routine at that time was to prepare literally anything before it goes through the physical printing process. After that, back in 2011, I moved on and worked as an illustrator in one of the well-known local design companies. I illustrated and designed mainly yearbooks, while also maintaining my life-long interest in art by making both paper-based and digital drawings. It became more intense as I made the habit of drawing every morning before I go to work. I consider the drawings that I made at that time as a visual diary of mine. I also routinely posted my artworks via my blog and Facebook account (before Instagram was around).

My first big break was in 2012, when I got the chance to have a solo exhibition in a new art space in Yogyakarta. I got a lot of appreciation at that show; even some of my works are surprisingly being bought by collectors. After the solo exhibition, I got a contract with a senior commercial Indonesian gallery which still represents me today.

Tell me about the Indonesian art community.

The art community here is evolving at a great pace. You can see a lot of alternative spaces popping up, which together offer the audience a new perspective into Indonesia’s art scene.

I see no negative competition between one member of the community with the others. The atmosphere is full of collaborative spirit, instead. It is also exciting for the public to see, as some of our community’s projects also involve other parties who came from outside of an art background.

Do you begin your work by designing on the computer? Is it difficult to translate the digital image to your physical medium?

Not always. For big-sized works, or the ones with complex objects, I usually do by initially having a design in the form of digital art in my PC. Making a digital artwork helps me in determining the right composition and coloring of the works. However, I often work on my paintings spontaneously.

In regards to the transition from digital image to the physical artworks, I’d say that it is an interesting process rather than a difficult one. It is interesting as I do it spontaneously when it comes to the time to transfer a digital artwork to a physical form. The excitement lies in the inaccuracy and inconsistency between the digital and physical form.

Is your childhood reflected in the children in your work? What’s their story?

You got it right, the children are the reflection of my childhood. It also represents the past within the concept of Karma; the accumulation of aftermaths (effect) is made possible by the things you do in the past (cause). In some of the works, it also represents post-reincarnation phase. A new life.

Those children are pure, and personally they become a kind of example and reminder for me to do good in the remainder of my life.

What statement are you trying to make when you combine children with gore?

I think it is as obvious as that. The pure subjects being presented in a horrible scene. Those are contradictory; black and white or yin and yang. It brings the concept of balance out of my works.

What about the animals? And your preference for rabbits?

I am always interested in the idea of life and living creatures. Life is a mystery which is full of uncertainty. The animals (and humans) in my works are the living creatures who have to go through a lifetime full of surprises. Rabbits, in particular, are simply because I had them as my favorite pets.

What’s the typical reaction you get to your work?

Most are in awe of the visuals, in both good and not too good ways. Some feel the fright and pain when they see my works. Some are also confused with the ideas that I want to convey. If I may conclude, I think most of them are just curious with the painter; what he is doing in his daily life while creating such bizarre artworks!

You name Marion Peck and Mark Ryden as your inspirations. Have you always been drawn to pop surrealism over other styles of painting?

At this stage? Not really. I’m not drawn exclusively to pop surrealism. I found each genre or style has their own attractiveness. Let’s just see whether other styles can help me to convey my idea in the future or not. That’s the most important thing for me as an artist.

Are there any new styles or techniques you want to try out? Would you ever animate your characters into film?

Not at this moment, but I won’t deny the chance for me to make artworks with a technique that I haven’t tried before. I’ll be happy to live on and keep experimenting.

What are you currently working on? And your upcoming exhibitions?

I am currently working on the paintings that I’ll show in Manila and Tokyo this month. A solo show is also coming up before the end of this year.

What does an average day look like for you if you’re not painting?

Watching movies and TV series just like other people. However, when I have the time, I would just travel and fuse myself with nature. Sometimes I also play football.

Do you have any goals for 2018?

I am trying to be as experimental as I can be. Showing an artwork in an experimental medium is one of my main targets for this year.

INTERVIEW BY EMILY CIESLAK

EDITED BY HOLLIS DE LANEY

PHOTO CREDIT: ROBY DWI ANTONO / Srisasanti Syndicate

related posts

INTERVIEW: FAHREN FEINGOLD CONTEMPORARY AMERICAN ART

The name of contemporary American artist Fahren Feingold has become synonymous with fluid, feminine watercolours in her...

June 25, 2018 6:00 PM  |  Art / Culture
Lisa Ann Markuson. Photo: Karen Obrist.

Interview: Lisa Ann Markuson on Modernizing Haiku

The minimalism of Haiku poetry– it’s English form dictated simply by the syllabic pattern 5-7-5– allows this traditional Japanese verse to span languages, cultures and ages.

May 17, 2018 4:00 PM  |  Art / Culture
"Peacocks" by Rebecca Leveille, in "The End of Love"

Interview: Rebecca Leveille's Solo Exhibit "The End of Love"

Certain artists have captured the zeitgeist of a particular time and place in such a powerful way that history will forever be represented through their images.

May 04, 2018 12:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

Oussamah Ghandour’s Journey from Ad-Man to Painter

Do you remember that episode of Mad Men when Don Draper decides to quit the ad business and follow his true calling as a painter?

May 03, 2018 10:00 AM  |  Art / Culture
untitled / Polaroid #051

Jörgen Axelvall's "KÄR / LEK" Photo Exhibit in Tokyo

For Jörgen Axelvall, photography is a language.

April 10, 2018 3:00 PM  |  Art / Culture
The Inception of Life. Roby Dwi Antono, 2018.

Interview: Illustrator Roby Dwi Antono on his Startling Surrealist Imagery

March 05, 2018 9:00 AM  |  Art / Culture
Bettina Werner's hand creating on a texturized salt crystal surface.

Interview: Bettina Werner's Pioneering Use of Salt in Art

Being an artist isn’t just a matter of creating paintings or sculptures in a particular medium, it’s about making your mark on history.

February 13, 2018 5:00 PM  |  Art / Culture
Donald Trump with Miss Mexico, Alison Jackson. The Untitled Space.

"One Year of Resistance" Recalls an Unsettling Year Under President Trump

During President Trump’s inauguration week, curator Indira Cesarine hosted a group art exhibition entitled Uprise / Angry Women in response to the election.

January 17, 2018 5:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

Artist-Activist Francesca Galliani Brings Her Messages of Empowerment to Fashion

Modern day social activism can be found and utilized everywhere from social media to organized protests.

December 08, 2017 5:00 PM  |  Art / Culture
Misha Kahn with "Scrappy Grand." Photo: Dan Kukla.

ARTIST MISHA KAHN'S ANTI-RIGHT-ANGLE EXHIBITION "MIDDEN HEAP" ON DISPLAY AT FRIEDMAN BENDA

Artist Misha Kahn lives in a world free of right angles.

December 08, 2017 4:00 PM  |  Art / Culture
Lin Dai, HOOCH CEO

Interview: Lin Dai, CEO of Hooch, the Game-changer Drinking App

Hooch is here just in time for the holidays! The Hooch app is the first-of-its-kind, subscription-based drinking app, offering customers 30 free drinks a month for just 10 dollars.

December 06, 2017 3:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

Chrome Hearts Miami Transformed into Candy Shop and Gallery for Art Basel

Chrome Hearts is celebrating Art Basel at their Miami retail space with a pop-up confectionary and café, alongside the launch of group exhibition in their second floor gallery. The...

December 06, 2017 1:00 PM  |  Art / Culture
no. 2 from "Only You" by Indira Cesarine

Indira Cesarine's "Only You" Art Series Visualizes Emotions after Betrayal

New-York based artist Indira Cesarine premiered the video format of her art series “Only You” at Art Basel Miami in 2010...

November 17, 2017 4:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

Chappy's "Dress the D" Halloween Campaign Promoting Safe Sex

The new-on-the-scene dating app Chappy has gained recognition for its mission and success in producing more meaningful...

October 31, 2017 4:00 PM  |  Art / Culture
Ashley Judd. Photo: Chiaki Kato

Ashley Judd & Gloria Steinem Address Human Trafficking at Apne Aap Benefit

The award-winning actress Ashley Judd, luminous in a bisque maxi-dress, was feted at a Manhattan soiree on Thursday night.

October 02, 2017 2:00 PM  |  Art / Culture
Yayoi Kusama. ©YAYOI KUSAMA

Yayoi Kusama to Open Namesake Museum in Tokyo

On your mark, get set, go! Yayoi Kusama enthusiasts will be delighted to know that tickets to the venerated Japanese artist’s namesake museum go on sale August 28.

August 24, 2017 5:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

Just Cavalli Restaurant & Club Opening in Porto Cervo

From the brand that fully embraces the bold and vibrant Dolce Vita lifestyle, now comes the ultimate nightlife experience. On July 14th, the...

July 17, 2017 10:00 AM  |  Art / Culture

The witty pop art of Alessio Franceschetto

Minimal, quirky and straight to the point, all uniquely describe the work of artist Alessio Franceschetto, a superhero of graphic art.

June 01, 2017 3:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

Go To Become, the poetic new art book of Jörgen Axelvall

TWELV is excited to announce Tokyo-based, photographer Jörgen Axelvall’s new exhibition and book release, Go To Become.

March 27, 2017 5:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

"Memory over reality" Crys Yin's reinvented childhood

Brushing eyes, combing toenails, flossing knees, and buying butts at the supermarket.

March 24, 2017 12:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

MOHRI SUZUKI IN NEW YORK CITY

Mohri Suzuki is acknowledged as one of the most promising calligraphy artists in Japan.

March 13, 2017 10:00 AM  |  Art / Culture
DONNA TRUMPETTE

Saint Hoax: The PoPlitically Incorrect Artist

Saint Hoax is an artist who comes out of Syria and has a limitless mind of his own.

January 05, 2017 3:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

DISNEY PRINCESS HIGH FASHION TRANSFORMATION

December 07, 2016 4:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

Frédéric Forest interview

November 28, 2016 11:00 AM  |  Art / Culture

Culture Chanel Exhibition Opened in Venice

A new exhibition at the Ca’ Pesaro International Gallery of Modern Art in Venice explores Coco Chanel’s life through her love for literature, her life living amongst...

November 23, 2016 2:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

Marilyn Minter: Pretty/Dirty exhibition

Starting November 4, 2016, the public will have the chance to admire the retrospective of Marilyn Minter's work at the Brooklyn Museum.

October 27, 2016 3:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

MARC JACOBS FALL2016 CAMPAIGN

Marc Jacobs, the man who keeps the fashion industry oohing and ahhing has shocked us once more.

October 12, 2016 3:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

The Fashion World with The Coveteur Book

The widely popular fashion website, The Coveteur, is coming out with a beautiful coffee table book on October 18, 2016.

October 12, 2016 11:00 AM  |  Art / Culture

CARVED CRAYONS. COOL.

Have you heard of "Wax Nostalgic?" How about the guy who can make almost anything out of crayons? Well Hoang Tran is the man behind it all!

September 12, 2016 5:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

COLORING BOOK "MAGICAL JUNGLE" BY Johanna Basford

“I create books so they can make masterpieces,” says Johanna Basford, about her new coloring book, Magical Jungle, which was recently published.

August 09, 2016 3:00 PM  |  Art / Culture
HK_72, Hong Kong, 2014

Invader Invades the Earth with Street Art

Invader is a mystery. People don’t know his real name. They also don't know what he looks like.

July 01, 2016 3:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

MINI BAGS BY Phillip Nuveen

Phillip Nuveen in Wonderland: a mini fashion world

June 20, 2016 4:00 PM  |  Art / Culture

The Floppy Disk Portrait Artworks by Nick Gentry

Nick Gentry is an exceptional contemporary artist who compose oil painting portraits with obsolescent media like Floppy disks, vintage...

March 15, 2016 5:37 PM  |  Art / Culture