Interview: Becky Donnelly's Fashion Creatures

October 02, 2017 12:00 PM

Quirky girl from Dublin with a penchant for drawing fantasy creatures relocates to London after art school. Her Instagram portraits of gremlins in Miu Miu and Marni catch the eye of the iconic purveyor of style and Editor-in-Chief of Love Magazine, Katie Grand, and voila, illustrator Becky Donnelly's career is born! We can't wait to see what Donnelly's frolicsome gremlins get into next, but in the meantime, the artist took a moment to chat with TWELV about her fashion illustrations and incipient modeling career:

Karen from TWELV: Tell us a little about your family and upbringing in Dublin. Is it true that your mom is Sharon Bacon, the former model?

Becky Donnelly: Yes, she is, and my Mum is gobsmacked that you found her! I grew up in Dublin with my Mum and Dad and my brother and my dog, a pretty normal upbringing. We lived near the sea, so I do miss that, living in London.

K: Fast forward to today, you're living in London, working as a model and represented by Tess Management in London (which also represents models-of-the-moement Adwoa Aboah and Georgia May Jagger.) How did you get into modeling?

BD: I first signed with Tess when I was 16 after meeting an agent when I was on a work internship with one of my Mum's friends. I took a break from modeling to focus on university, and I worked at an animation studio for a while. I've since left Tess and recently signed with First in London. But I'm only just getting back into modeling now, so it's all new for me.

K: In recent months, the internet has been abuzz with your fashion illustrations, especially your Miu Miu and Marni sketches of looks from Fall/Winter 2017 that were featured in Love Magazine. How did this come about–did Love's Katie Grand commission the sketches?

BD: It all happened so suddenly and fast! I did some illustrations of the Miu Miu and Marni collections and put them on my Instagram. Because Katie is involved with the Miu Miu shows, I tagged her and the casting director. I woke up the next day and Katie had followed me and gotten in touch and asked if I'd do some illustrations for Love. She's been really supportive ever since. I still can't believe it's all happened just from a post on my Instagram. But that's the kind of thing that can happen nowadays with social media.

K: I love the way you describe your fascination with "freakish gremlins" and your obsession with the intersection between "perfection and peculiarity." At the same time, you are young and fabulous, living the dream, walking the runway during London Fashion Week. But instead of the typical Instagram modeling shots on beaches in bikinis, you favor humorous selfies with naughty gremlins. Please tell us how your unique perspective came about.

BD: I’m a bit of a cynic and I've got a goofy sense of humor, so that's been at the forefront of most things. The freakish gremlins are definitely a representation of me in a lot of ways, so I often unconsciously think they way they do. I love fashion, and I've had some really cool opportunities in the industry. But nowadays, particularly with social media, you see these images of perfection all the time, and for me, when you see something really beautiful and then you look a bit deeper and something is off, I find that endearing. It gives off an authenticity and uniqueness that I like. It leaks into everything I do.

K: Did you develop your gremlin characters and unique sketching style in art school or did it come about more recently?

BD: I don't think there is any specific period in time when I developed a style, it's just been a gradual evolution of my personality and my experiences. But there have definitely been standout things in my life that inspired me. I'll never forget the first time I saw "Nightmare Before Christmas" when I was a kid. I love Tim Burton! Gris Grimley has also been an influence. But I think it's just best to "let it be" and find your voice in art. And it's nice when you feel that what you're putting on the page is a direct representation of how you feel or what you want to say.

K: We love the animated gremlin sketches you did for The Love Magazine. Can you tell us a little bit about your methods? Do you sketch with colored pencils and then scan and animate on the computer?

BD: I’m a bit of a technophobe, so I try to hold off on the digital 3-D elements until the very end. Hand-done work has an authenticity to it that I really like to retain. It has an intimacy that you can't really capture in the same way on computer. I mainly work in watercolor and pen and the I just keep the digital element just for cleaning up and adding movement.

K: Your fashion sketches have featured designs by Miu Miu, Marni, Marc Jacobs and Alexander Wang. How does your inspiration to sketch a particular design come about?

BD: Given my involvement in the fashion industry, I see new collections all the time. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is, but because I come from an animation point-of-view, I respond to a design that conjures up a unique character in my head. The Miu Miu collection is the perfect example. I just saw it and thought, “I could have so much fun with this.” I knew the clothes would look great on the models but also on my little creatures. I don't think about it too much. If I see something that inspires me, I just go for it.

K: You posted an illustration on Instagram in April of an Alexander Wang design featuring a very long-legged, blonde-haired girl in a boxy black jacket who looks strikingly like you! Is that a self portrait?

BD: I’m so flattered! It's a model called Lexi Boling who I think is absolutely stunning. I take a huge compliment, thank you!

K: Have any designers given you direct feedback about your sketches or commissioned work from you?

BD: That’s the amazing thing about Instagram is that you can put something out there and the designer actually ends up seeing it. I've gotten some really lovely feedback from designers. Bobby Abley featured one of my illustrations on his page.

K: Sketching is an essential step in the fashion design process. Have you ever thought about working on your own clothing or accessories line?

BD: Not really. I kind of like creating a fantasy, something that almost can't be real, with exaggerated proportions. I have huge respect for designers, and I don't think I would even have the skills to do that. Character design is more my strength.

K: I’ve been on a lot of fashion shoots, and it seems that the priority of a model is to meet the expectations of the photographer, while the priority of an artist is self-expression. Do you ever feel that there is a conflict between your model self and your artist self?

BD: For me I find that coming from an artistic background is an advantage in modeling. I'm a bit camera shy, but I think being an illustrator helps because it's more about creating a composition rather than thinking, 'Do I look weird?' There is a collaborative aspect to modeling, when you're working with the stylist and the photographer to create something, which is really rewarding. I love being a part of that process and creating something special.

INTERVIEW BY KAREN FRAGALA-SMITH

EDITED BY HOLLIS DE LANEY

PHOTO CREDIT: BECKY DONNELLY

related posts

NEW TYPE #33: Catherine Casias Inteview

If fashion is an expression of experiences, Catherine Casias has a lot of area to cover. She has excelled as an Olympic volleyball player, a philosophy major, and a fine artist....

October 10, 2018 11:20 PM  |  People

Party Czar Carmen D’Alessio, Empress of the Sun and the Queen of the Night

You may not know Carmen D’Alessio by name.

October 10, 2018 10:15 PM  |  People
Shot by CHAMA

IKEMEN #39: JORDAN HENRIQUEZ

IKEMEN (ē´k´mɛn): Japanese Slang

"REALLY, REALLY, RIDICULOUSLY GOOD LOOKING PEOPLE"

August 28, 2018 5:00 PM  |  People

IKEMEN #38: WARREN KAY

IKEMEN (ē´k´mɛn): Japanese Slang

"REALLY, REALLY, RIDICULOUSLY GOOD LOOKING PEOPLE"

August 07, 2018 5:00 PM  |  People

NEW TYPE #32: ALEXANDER ROYS INTERVIEW

"Introducing an innovative Men’s designer to inspire you with the visions of future and the rise of technology."

June 26, 2018 4:00 PM  |  People
Silvia Mella (right) with Thomas De Bruyne for "House of Molteni"

Branding in the Worlds of Art and Commerce According to Silvia Mella

Branding is everything. For an entrepreneur, it is the difference between viability and bankruptcy. On social media, we are all our own brands.

May 21, 2018 4:00 PM  |  People
Jackie Yang, Creative Director of Chelsea and Walker. Video Still.

Interview: Jackie Yang, Creative Director of Chelsea and Walker

TWELV sat down with Jackie Yang, Creative Director of Chelsea and Walker, in the brand’s New York City...

May 21, 2018 2:00 PM  |  People
Krystal and Marilyn Lavoie

New Type #31: Angela Mitchell – Krystal and Marilyn Lavoie Interview

We are living in the age of fast fashion, and even Europe’s most storied luxury brands have been moving their factories to Asia to reduce costs.

May 17, 2018 3:00 PM  |  People

Ikemen #37: Dominik Halas

IKEMEN (ē´k´mɛn): Japanese Slang

"REALLY, REALLY, RIDICULOUSLY GOOD LOOKING PEOPLE"

May 03, 2018 12:00 PM  |  People
Bianca Allen, Carolina Sarria, and Samantha Deller

New Type #30: Carolina Sarria & Bianca Allen Interview

Both Carolina Sarria and Bianca Allen knew they wanted to become fashion designers from a young age.

April 16, 2018 5:00 PM  |  People

Interview & Backstage: Christian Siriano Celebrates 10 Years in Fashion

After the successful launch of his book Dresses to Dream About, a decade-anniversary celebration on the runway, and a whirlwind of striking celebrity looks on the red carpet of...

March 09, 2018 11:00 AM  |  People
Jackie Astier. Photo: BFA.

New Type #29: Jackie Astier Interview

Astier places its identity within the advanced adaptation skills of the modern New York woman.

February 24, 2018 11:00 AM  |  People

INTERVIEW: Meet Kiko Arai, Miss Japan-turned Face of Balmain and Zara

Kiko Arai hails from Osaka, Japan, and after winning the title of Miss Japan 2012, the now 27-year old is captivating a new audience– the fashion world.

February 06, 2018 12:11 AM  |  People

Interview: Parisian Designer Frédéric Robert's Debut Shoe Collection "ME.LAND"

A vibrant brand of Italian-made shoes for men is emerging this year as one-to-watch.

January 26, 2018 10:00 AM  |  People
Maxime Tiliouine and Quentin Hernandez

New Type #28: the Design Duo Behind Maxime Hernandez Interview

The streetwear phenomenon in the fashion establishment is not slowing down anytime soon.

January 12, 2018 2:00 PM  |  People

MICHEL NAFZIGER INTERVIEW

With a wealth of experience shooting some for some of fashion's most renowned clients (Yves Saint Laurent, Guy Laroche), ...

December 29, 2017 2:00 PM  |  People

IKEMEN #36: Jérôme LaMaar

IKEMEN (ē´k´mɛn): Japanese Slang

"REALLY, REALLY, RIDICULOUSLY GOOD LOOKING PEOPLE"

November 27, 2017 12:00 PM  |  People
Alcone Backstage Set Designed by Roger Padilha. Photo: Santiago Felipe.

Alcone 65th Anniversary @Capitale: Interview with CEO Maria Stewart

No make-up company has a more storied history firmly ensconced in New York showbiz.

November 13, 2017 4:00 PM  |  People

Ikemen #35: Zaher Saleh

IKEMEN (ē´k´mɛn): Japanese Slang

"REALLY, REALLY, RIDICULOUSLY GOOD LOOKING PEOPLE"

October 31, 2017 5:00 PM  |  People
Keith Kattner

Interview: Neurosurgeon-turned-Artist Keith Kattner on the Surgery of Classical Painting

Dr. Keith Kattner does not have the typical background one would expect of a successful neurosurgeon.

October 25, 2017 4:00 PM  |  People

New Type #27: Nika Tang Interview

San Fransisco-based designer Nika Tang has emerged as boldly committed to her ideology as to her pieces. Her namesake brand centers...

October 06, 2017 11:00 AM  |  People

TWELV ARCHIVE JOE McKenna INTERVIEW "Call Me Joe"

CALL ME JOE

October 04, 2017 4:00 PM  |  People

Interview: Becky Donnelly's Fashion Creatures

October 02, 2017 12:00 PM  |  People

New Type #26: Herman – Raif Adelberg Interview

Authenticity.

September 29, 2017 11:00 AM  |  People
Brooke Candy & Kaimin. Photo: Mark Hunter

Kaimin Interview & S/S18 "Slut from the Future" Presentation @ the Top of the Standard

Pulsing with a heavy beat and hazy with a deep rouge glow, the Top of the Standard is as glamorous a place to be as ever. And tonight it is packed with partygoers.

September 28, 2017 10:00 AM  |  People

Yasmina Alaoui Interview & Opera Gallery Exhibition

Yasmina Alaoui burst onto the international arts scene in 2003 with "Tales of Beauty," a collection of nude...

September 11, 2017 5:00 PM  |  People
Søren Solkær

Søren Solkær Interview

Stepping out of a cab into the urban symphony of Midtown, the entryway to The Quin Hotel was easy to spot— with classic architecture and...

September 11, 2017 10:00 AM  |  People

Kyra Ross of Mona Liza Studios Interview

TWELV sat down with the charismatic Kyra Ross, founder of Mona Liza Studios which falls under his larger moniker "...

August 28, 2017 11:00 AM  |  People
Photo by Giorgio Codazzi for Gioia Magazine

Ira Sumbaeva Interview

TWELV sits down with model Ira Sumbaeva to give a glimpse into the story of the cutest Belarusian...

August 25, 2017 8:00 AM  |  People

Benjamin Shine Interview: Master of Tulle

Benjamin Shine is an award-winning international artist whose work stretches across industries from fashion...

August 16, 2017 4:00 PM  |  People
Sarah LeBlanc

New Type #25: Mémère – Sarah LeBlanc Interview

Upon arriving to the Mémère studio, it felt like stepping from the bustle of New York City...

July 26, 2017 10:00 AM  |  People

NEW TYPE #24: JOHNA STONE INTERVIEW

July 21, 2017 11:00 AM  |  People

IKEMEN #34: GABRIEL LIBERTY

IKEMEN (ē´k´mɛn): Japanese Slang

"REALLY, REALLY, RIDICULOUSLY GOOD LOOKING PEOPLE"

July 03, 2017 3:00 PM  |  People

NEW TYPE #23: ANE AMOUR – IYALA ANNE INTERVIEW

“Introducing a talented designer giving sophisticated femininity an edge”

June 23, 2017 1:00 PM  |  People

NEW TYPE #22: Allina Liu INTERVIEW

Born and raised in New York City– we could also add, "in love with”– Allina Liu is a refreshing womenswear designer, who questions the...

June 14, 2017 2:00 PM  |  People

NEW TYPE #21: Kendall Miles INTERVIEW

“My passion is shoes. Kendall Miles shoes are beautiful, alluring and handcrafted in Italy: the perfect pair for the woman who knows who she is and where she wants to go.”

May 23, 2017 3:00 PM  |  People

Pages

SITE BY: monocomplex©Marbles & Marbles International Inc. Drupal Development by: DivDiv, NYC
▲ back to top ▲